Anger Fact Sheet
Many subtle and hidden forms of anger ruin health and relationships, as surely as rage and aggression.
Chronic anger in any form increases risks of:
- Heart disease, stroke, cancer, hypertension
- Depression and anxiety
- Colds, flu, headaches, stomachaches, muscle aches
- Alcoholism, drug-addiction
- Compulsive behavior, such as workaholism and sexual acting out
- Errors in judgment
- Problem-solving ability
- Fine motor skills
- Frustration tolerance
- Positive passion
- Physical and sexual attractiveness.
- Makes you a reactaholic
- Creates endless power struggles.
The only function of anger is to:
- Control/neutralize perceived threat
- Inflict injury on feelings or body.
- It’s not for problem-solving or negotiation.
Do you often feel that:
- Things are unfair?
- You’re not getting the help, consideration, praise, reward, or affection you deserve?
- Good things happen to people less deserving than you?
Signs of accumulated resentment in love relationships
Either you or your partner is:
- Irritated by things you used to think were cute – facial expressions, laughter, tone of voice, style of dress
- Losing interest in most forms of intimacy – talking, touch, hugging, sharing, sex
- Judgmental about the other’s perspective without being curious to learn more about it
- Irritated by how the other feels.
Intolerant of differences.
The RED ZONE:
- Your partner seems bent on irritating you, making you feel bad, or pushing your buttons
- It feels like you’re sleeping with the enemy.